by Joe Schomer
Long Pond Ironworks
c/o Ringwood State Park
1304 Sloatsburg Rd.
Ringwood, NJ 07456-1799
41° 08’ 27.55” N 74° 18' 33.22" W
Fees: No entrance fee.
Link to the Related
From Route 287 take exit 57. Follow Skyline Drive
to Route 511 (Greenwood Lake Turnpike). Turn right
and travel approx. five miles. From Route 23 take
Union Valley Road (Route 513) approx. six miles
and bear right onto Marshall Hill Road, which
becomes Greenwood Lake Turnpike (Route 511). Parking
is available at the north boat ramp, Beech Road
and historic district parking lots.
electric motors, gas motors (10
hp), trailer launch, cartop launch,
- Winter sports:
ice fishing, cross-country skiing
- Mountain biking
- Horseback riding
old stone walls, furnaces and other remnants
of the once industrious ironworking community
now sit tranquilly next to the swiftly flowing
Wanaque River. The village is undergoing research
and restoration and one waterwheel has been
reconstructed. Future plans call for additional
New Jersey's Black Bear Hunting Season
Following Governor Phil Murphy's Executive Order No. 34 (pdf), DEP Commissioner Catherine R. McCabe has issued Administrative Order No. 2018-24 closing all DEP owned, managed or otherwise controlled lands to bear hunting during the October and December 2018 season segments. The closure includes, but is not limited to, the following: state forests, parks, recreation areas and natural areas; and wildlife management areas.
Administrative Order 2018-24 (pdf)
Through the Carry-In/Carry-Out Program you can help us keep your parks clean
and beautiful by carrying out the trash you carry in. Bags are provided
throughout the site. Thank you for your cooperation and remember to recycle.
Open daily sunrise to sunset.
Approximately a 3/4 mile portion of the Hasenclever Iron Trail is temporarily closed to the public in the area of Peter's Mine. From the Ringwood Manor side it is approximately 1.5 miles in and 4 miles in from Long Pond Ironworks. There is currently no reroute, please plan accordingly. For more information all the park office.
Long Pond Ironworks State Park Area Map
Special Use Permit Application
Special Use Permit Application Package
A Special Use Permit is utilized to accommodate a specific activity or event being conducted over a short duration. There are two types of special use permits: Non-Commercial and Commercial and fees are based on NJ residency and Non-residents. A completed application must be submitted to the park/forest area where the activity or event is being held at least 90 days prior to the event. If the special use or event is extremely large or complex, at least one-year’s prior notice is recommended.
|Long Pond Ironworks Historic District
Long Pond Ironworks was founded in 1766 by
German ironmaster Peter Hasenclever. Hasenclever brought 500
ironworkers and their families from Germany to build an ironworks
"plantation," including a furnace, forge, houses,
shops and farms. A dam at "Long Pond" (Greenwood
Lake) on the upper Wanaque River provided the hydropower to
operate a blast for the furnace and a large forge. Two more
furnaces were constructed in the 1860s. Operations at the
site ceased in 1882 due to the industry-wide conversion to
anthracite furnaces using Pennsylvania coal.
The remnants of the ironmaking
industrial structures at this site date from
the 18th and 19th centuries. Furnaces, casting
house ruins, charging areas, ice houses, waterwheels
and other structures are a part of the remains.
The area is currently undergoing restoration:
one waterwheel has been reconstructed and several
houses stabilized. The "Old Country Store"
has been renovated and now houses the Long
Pond Ironworks Museum.
The original Village of Hewitt
grew up around the 19th-century iron enterprise.
This settlement included a church, a store/post
office, schoolhouses, and dwellings and outbuildings
for workers and managers. Many of these cultural
resources remain intact or as ruins.
Members of the Friends of Long Pond Ironworks offer tours of the furnace area and village on the second Saturday of the month, noon and 2 pm, April through November. The museum is open to the public Saturdays
and Sundays between 1 and 4 pm, with an earlier opening on
tour dates during the April through November tour season.
It is open by arrangement throughout the year. For more information,
call (973) 657-1688.
Known for its trophy size muskellunge, walleye,
bass and trout, Monksville Reservoir is heavily used by anglers,
sporting clubs and the US Sailing Association. Easily accessible
from either the north or the south boat ramp, the area is
open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The property that comprised the Wanaque Wildlife Management Area, formerly managed by the Division of Fish & Wildlife is now under the administration of Long Pond Ironworks and Ringwood State Park. Within the property is access to Green Turtle Pond, which is stocked with trout in the spring. A parking lot and boat ramp are located nearby. The area also is open to hunting, with the exception of Sunday.
State Park Service areas open to hunting
Tree Stands and Blinds Policy
Hunting is permitted in designated areas within the park and is subject to Division of Fish and Wildlife regulations.